The Suure-Lähtru manor house is a more than 230 year old memorial, which is at the same time a home and a tourist destination, where guests are accepted from near to far. There isn't a dusty old museum or a steril hotel here, but a genuine old manor house, with an atmosphere like no other - where the owners don't serve, they host; where there aren't clients, but guests.
The history of the manor stretches back to the start of the 16th century, when the area was feudalised to Egert von Alen. The heydays of the manor are still tied to the von Baranoff family, who aquired Suure-Lähtru in the 1590s. In 1775, Karl Gustav von Baranoff built the current, late-baroque style main building, where to this day, grandiose staircases and doors have been preserved, and in many places also the rococo style wood carvings.
After the Baranoffs left the manor in 1835, it switched owners multiple times. In the main hall of the manor, this is represented by a long row of the owners' family crests.
After the land reform in 1919, the manor's main building was used as a school, and during the Soviet times, it was used as the centre of the local farm.
In 1996, the decaying manor house was bought by Mart and Monika Helme, who built here their home. Under the protective spirit of the house, they have since then restored the manor house almost fully, and are always happy to host guests in the manor.
If the guests book in advance, they can have coffee and cake, schnapps, lunch, a 3-course dinner, or rent the rooms in whichever way they wish. Couples can stay a night in the bedroom of the old Lady of the Manor. Concerts are also often hosted in the manor.
Suure-Lähtru: majestic, yet cozy!